What’s the Difference: Blinds or Shutters?
With so many ways to dress your windows, it can be difficult to know which window covering is best suited for your home. If you’re torn between both blinds or shutters, it is a tough choice, don’t worry, we can help! While a decision may be made purely on aesthetics, there are several functional differences that you should consider too.
The team at Fraser James Blinds have put together this guide where we will be delving into the differences between blinds & shutters and looking at the pros and cons of each for you to make the best decision for your home.
Perhaps the most popular window dressing, blinds offer a versatile window solution that is widely available and affordable to buy. Blinds are a form of internal window covering which come in a wide variety of styles and materials. When we say there is something for everyone, we mean it! You will not have to compromise on style when choosing blinds!
The main difference between blinds & shutters is the way they are fitted to the window. While blinds are attached to the top of your window and hang down freely to cover the windowpane, shutters are attached to the window frame itself for a sturdier structure.
Generally, blinds open vertically and are controlled by cord pulls; however horizontally opening options are available depending on your wants and needs. Blinds can be opened as much, or as little, as you wish, making them a versatile option for achieving privacy and light control.
Slatted blinds – such as Venetian or Vertical Blinds offer the greatest control as the slats can be oriented as you wish, letting in light whilst still giving privacy. Privacy may be important to consider depending on your location, maybe you live in a busy, built-up area?
Blinds can set the tone for any room, creating a unique atmosphere throughout your home. From striking statement pieces to traditional and contemporary designs, a bespoke set of blinds will suit windows of any shape or size, with custom solutions available for bay windows, roof windows, and more.
- Added Insulation: Lower energy bills (heck yes!)
- Reduced Glare on Screens: Avoid discomfort associated with the suns glare 🌞
- Burglar Deterrent: Increased privacy control
- Style Statement: Create a bold statement all your neighbours will be jealous of
- Light Control: Great control over light levels and privacy
- Sound Insulation: Minimise outdoor sound levels
- Require more maintenance and cleaning than shutters
- Much less robust than shutters
- The fabrics of some blinds can become damaged from UV rays or too much moisture
- Shorter Lifespan than shutters. They may need to be replaced more frequently
If you’re searching for made-to-measure blinds for oddly shaped windows, large windows, doors, or just general window blinds, the team at Fraser James Blinds can help. We won’t shy away from a challenge!
If you’re looking for one of the most elegant window coverings available, made-to-measure wooden shutters could be ideal. Shutters have maintained their popularity as a beautiful addition to homes across the country – helping homeowners enjoy comfortable, cool interiors in summer, and plenty of warmth in winter. Perfect for our drastic (or drastic feeling) temperatures in both Summer and Winter!
Shutters are window coverings which can be installed internally or externally on your windows, unlike blinds which are normally installed inside the house.
Compared to blinds, shutters are permanently fixed, precisely fitted window coverings which are attached directly to the window frame. Shutters are made from a much studier and thicker material than blinds, often wood, which can be a major selling point for some people.
They operate similarly to Venetian blinds in that they are made up of horizontal slats which can be tilted to allow the right amount of light through, and they also offer fantastic insulation and soundproofing. The controlling mechanism for the slats is generally a rod. Shutter panels can be opened completely and will swing away horizontally from the window, like opening a door, what a conversation topic!
- Easy to Clean: Universally easy to clean and maintain
- Hazard Free: Keep children and pets safe
- Light Control: great control over light levels and privacy
- Increase House Value: Add timeless elegance and value to your property
- Sound and Thermal Insulation: Minimise outdoor sound levels and lower energy bills
- UV Protection: Avoid the sun’s damaging UV rays
- Shutters are a more expensive purchase than blinds, but the value they bring to a home makes up for it. Read our blog here on how shutters can add value to your home.
- Lengthier installation time: For example, lets take a ‘standard’ window, as seen below, to install the blind it took 20 minutes, if it had been a shutter install, it would have been a 3 panel shutter, and would have taken about 1.5 hours.
- Heavy, so can be unsuitable for some window styles. Contact us today for a free home visit.
- They take up more window space than blinds as they are fitted directly to the window frame rather than the window recess
If you’re searching for made-to-measure shutters to perfectly complement your home, we can help. Fraser James Blinds design, manufacture, and install a broad range of shutters to suit any style of home and requirements. Simply discuss your needs with our experts, and we will help you to find a solution that brings peace, comfort, and light control to a single room or throughout your home.
So, what’s the verdict, Blinds or Shutters?
There is absolutely no right or wrong answer when it comes to blinds vs shutters. It all comes down to personal preference! If your house is situated in an area that receives more sun or rain, shutters will be more effective. While blinds are more cost-effective, shutters make up for it in terms of their longevity.
Both window coverings offer unique advantages to the homeowner that could make them a more favorable option. No matter which selection you make, opting for a high-quality product will ensure a long-lasting and beautiful result.
Finding your Perfect Blinds or Shutters
Are you looking for blinds and shutters near me? There’s something for everyone here at Fraser James Blinds, with a wide variety of fabrics, designs, finishes, and colours to choose from, offering quality that simply cannot be matched by off-the-shelf solutions.
Fraser James Blinds stock and supply a range of fantastic blinds & shutters to suit any home. All of our products are made from the highest quality materials and components, and our experienced team will work closely with you to find the perfect window dressing for any room in your home, designed around your specific needs.
To arrange a free home visit in Nottingham, Derby, Leicester, Coventry, Northampton or the surrounding areas, contact Fraser James Blinds today.